25th session of the Human Rights Council from 3 to 28 March 2014
The 25th session of the Human Rights Council will take place from 3 to 28 March in Palais des Nations, Geneva.
The Programme of work is available online.
Reports and documents are available here.
You can follow the session through the UN webcast.
NGO Participation in the Human Rights Council
What is the Human Rights Council?
The Human Rights Council is the principal United Nations intergovernmental body responsible for human rights. It is composed of 47 Member States, which meets in at least three sessions per year in Geneva, Switzerland.
Its role includes addressing violations of human rights, including gross and systematic violations, the promotion of respect for human rights for all, and effective coordination and mainstreaming of human rights within the UN system.
The Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) is the secretariat for the Human Rights Council.
For more information on how Ngos can to participate in a session of the Council?
Only NGOs in consultative status with the United Nations Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) can be accredited to participate in the Human Rights Council’s sessions as Observers.
- Economic and Social Council resolution 1996/31 of July 1996.
- Check your NGO in the ECOSOC NGO database.
- For information on how your NGO can apply for ECOSOC consultative status.
As Observers, NGOs are able, amongst other things, to:
- Attend and observe all proceedings of the Council with the exception of the Council deliberations under the Complaints Procedure;
- Submit written statements to the Human Rights Council;
- Make oral interventions to the Human Rights Council;
- Participate in debates, interactive dialogues, panel discussions and informal meetings; and
- Organize “parallel events” on issues relevant to the work of the Human Rights Council.
- A practical guide for NGO participants (i.e. about accreditation, attending the session, access to the public gallery, requesting a room for a parallel event, making an oral statement, documentation and resources, and participation in general, etc.) [Arabic - Chinese - English - French - Russian - Spanish].
- NGO Written Statement Submission is now done on-line at this link:https://ngoreg.ohchr.org/WrittenStatementRegistration/Home
A user friendly practical guide to submitting statements on-line can be downloaded here to assist [English - French].
- Link to Oral Statement Request Form (will be online soon).
- NGO joint-statement Form - Oral Statement [Download].
- Link to NGO Side-Event Room Request Form.
- Working with the United Nations Human Rights Programme: Handbook for Civil Society.
- Participating in the Human Rights Council by video message [Download].
For further information or assistance, please contact the NGO Liaison Team of the Human Rights Council Secretariat at firstname.lastname@example.org.